One of life’s greatest adventures is tying the knot with the person you love the most. And as a soon-to-be-married couple, one of your many tasks is finding a wedding venue. Lucky for couples in the Philippines, brides and grooms-to-be will find plenty of wedding churches in the country, such as the breathtaking Chapel on the Hill in Tagaytay.
Chapel on the Hill is a small, intimate chapel that offers a wonderful option for couples who want to take advantage of Tagaytay’s mountainside view and natural wonders. Do you long for a wedding that is both rustic and elegant? Here’s what you need to know before reserving this stunning chapel for your wedding.
Chapel on the Hill
The Chapel on the Hill, also known as the Don Bosco Church, is among the popular choices for couples who want a solemn, traditional Catholic wedding. Located just off the Tagaytay-Nasugbu Highway (a 30-minute eastward drive from Sky Ranch), the Don Bosco Batulao is a spiritual retreat center. So, if you’re looking for a chapel not too far from the main road that still delivers the calm and peace you want for a treasured moment, this is the place to have your religious wedding ceremony.
Don Bosco Batulao Chapel is the actual chapel on the hill, as its name suggests. The chapel, which Rosario Reyes Bartolome built in 2004 in memory of her parents, Aurelio and Antonia Reyes, is one of the newest in the area compared to the other prominent wedding churches in Tagaytay.
The chapel is a circular structure resembling a small gazebo. If you live in Metro Manila and want to get a feel of what a wedding in the Chapel on the Hill would feel like, just visit the Sto. Nino de Paz Greenbelt Chapel in Makati. However, the breathtaking views that the Don Bosco Batulao Chapel offers its couples cannot be matched anywhere else, so a visit to the chapel is a must beforehand.
Tagaytay has many wedding venues to choose from, but unlike other chapels, the Chapel on the Hill has glass panels for most of its outer walls. This gives you a 360-degree bird’s eye view of the retreat center, Tagaytay landscape, and skies. So, if you want to get married in a beautiful natural setting but don’t want to get caught in the rain, the Chapel on the Hill is an excellent indoor choice.
Capacity and Parking
The Chapel on the Hill can comfortably seat up to 100 guests. So, this may not be the best choice of Tagaytay wedding churches for those looking to host large weddings after the pandemic ends. But for couples looking to host intimate and small to medium-sized weddings, Don Bosco Chapel on the Hill can suit you just fine.
In terms of parking, Don Bosco Batulao’s website says there is enough parking to accommodate the maximum number of guests at the chapel. Your guests are allowed to park along the street of the church.
Also, note that the church administration has strict rules on decorum since the chapel is inside a retreat center. Smoking and vaping are prohibited inside the center. Throwing rice, confetti, or flower petals inside the chapel at the end of the ceremony is also not allowed.
Booking Chapel on the Hill
As I said earlier, the Chapel on the Hill is a trendy and popular wedding church of choice. So, to ensure the chapel is available on your planned wedding day, you must book in advance for at least one year (or two, to be safe).
This is especially true if you’re holding your wedding during the wedding season months in the Philippines: May to June and December to February.
When you want to book the venue, take note that Chapel on a Hill has four time slots available from Monday through Saturday and three time slots on Sunday. The admins in the center are reportedly strict regarding time schedules, so it’s important that you’re not late for your own wedding, or else your ceremony may be cut short or hurried to make way for the next wedding.
Couples can rent Chapel on the Hill for around P15,000 for a basic package that includes the sound system. The wedding officiant, choir and pianist, flower arrangements, and other aspects of a church wedding are not included in the package and should be handled by the couple or the wedding planner. If you have to go there to book, arrange your canonical interview with the parish priest on a Thursday or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. to make your journey worthwhile. To meet church standards, you can also obtain your Pre-Cana Seminar certification from any parish.
However, because there’s little information on their website and Facebook page, it’s best to contact Don Bosco Batulao to confirm their rates and packages.
Wedding Application Requirements
To book your wedding date, you’ll need to submit the following marriage requirements to the church’s office:
- Baptismal and confirmation certificates of both parties. Birth certificates are valid for six months from when it was requested, but Don Bosco Batulao’s website states that it should be issued within the past three months. It should be annotated with “For Marriage Purposes Only”. This is to confirm you and your partner have undergone the previous Catholic rites that allow you to undergo holy wedding rites.
- Marriage license. You can get your marriage license from your local civil registrar in the city or municipality where you or your partner live. Marriage licenses are valid for 120 days or four months. Marriage licenses confirm that you and your future spouse are legally free to marry each other.
- Canonical interview with the parish priest or his duly authorized representative. You and your partner must personally meet with the interviewer in Don Bosco Batulao months before the wedding. Expect to talk about your relationship, family background, and other plans for the future.
- Pre-Cana Wedding Seminar Certificate of Attendance. You and your partner will have to attend a marriage preparation seminar. You can attend one sponsored by Don Bosco Batulao or by your own church, but you need a certificate to prove your attendance.
- Ecclesiastical or marriage banns. You must give the name of your parish and parish priest to the office. They will request your church to announce your impending nuptials and will post it on their marriage banns. If, after three weeks, no one objects to the marriage, the wedding can occur.
- List of wedding sponsors and bridal party members. If your wedding invitations have this list, you can provide them with a copy.
- Sacrament of confession. To tie the knot in Chapel on the Hill or at any church wedding, you may be asked to undergo this sacrament before you can get married.
- ID Picture. Prepare a few 2×2 ID photos if the office requests them for filing purposes.
- PSA Birth Certificate and Certificate of No Marriage Record (CENOMAR). The birth certificate is used to confirm that you are a Filipino citizen of legal marriageable age. If you have never been married in the past, you will need to present a CENOMAR that confirms you have never been previously married. You can order both online at PSA Serbilis Online; delivery times vary.
- If you and/or your spouse were previously married, you would need to obtain an annulment clearance from the Archdiocese’s office if the marriage was annulled. If either of you is widowed, you will need the death certificate of your deceased spouse as proof that you are no longer married.
- If one of you is a foreigner marrying in the country, you’ll need to submit marriage requirements for foreigners in the Philippines for a smooth marriage process. Foreigners must submit the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, which verifies that they are legally qualified to marry a Filipino citizen.
How to Get to Chapel on the Hill Tagaytay from Metro Manila
Going to Chapel on the Hill from Metro Manila is fairly easy. Using the South Luzon Expressway and the Cavite-Laguna Expressway, the trip will take approximately 2 hours and 3 minutes by car. When commuting, it takes about four hours to get to the venue from Metro Manila using LRT trains and provincial buses, so plan accordingly if you have visitors coming from there.
For the fastest route, here are the directions to Chapel on the Hill you can save on your phone!
Reception Venues Near Chapel on the Hill
Do you envision having your wedding ceremony and reception at different locations? Well, you can turn that into reality!
Here are some reception venues that are less than an hour away from Chapel on the Hill Tagaytay:
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Hillcreek Gardens Tagaytay (@hillcreekgardens_tagaytay)
Hillscreek Gardens Tagaytay
Hillscreek Gardens Tagaytay is just 8.6 kilometers from Chapel on the Hill, and you and your guests can get there by car in 16 minutes. The event’s place features three hectares of beautifully landscaped lawns and sophisticated indoor areas. They have four venues that accommodate up to 200 people each: the Grand Ballroom, the Pavilion, the Garden, and the Flowerhouse. The venue also offers an all-inclusive package and a venue-only package. These may include a complimentary overnight stay for the couple, so they won’t have to travel before or after the wedding festivities.
Check out Hillscreek Gardens Tagaytay’s website or give them a call at the numbers below to learn more:
Directions from Chapel on the Hill: https://goo.gl/maps/iVbvyCnHsDLXKeMM6
Address: 134 Alfonso Road, Brgy Sikat, Alfonso, Philippines
Contact Number/s: 0917 837 5413 | 0917 553 5413
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Altheas Orchard Resort & Events Venue (@altheas_orchard)
Althea’s Orchard Private Resort and Place
If you want a reception venue where you can also stay the night after, Althea’s Orchard Private Resort and Place is the one for you! It takes 13 minutes to drive 7.1 kilometers to get to this location in Lemery, Batangas, from Chapel on the Hill. The place offers a Pavilion Bundled Package for P80,000. This includes the following:
- an overnight stay at the resort for up to 20 people
- free use of their bridal prep room
- use of their air-conditioned Grand Pavilion area, which can seat up to 200 guests
- Use their garden venue, caterer preparation room, cocktail area, and parking lot.
For more information about these events place, please contact them here:
Directions from Chapel on the Hill: https://goo.gl/maps/jKrqUAYm8nh14RJT9
Address: Diokno Highway, Lemery Batangas
Contact Number/s: 0960 271 3556 | 0949 038 5949
View this post on Instagram
Rosemont Gardens Tagaytay
Rosemont Gardens Tagaytay is where you can celebrate a wedding and enjoy the fresh air. This place is only 5.4 kilometers from Don Bosco Batulao, and it takes 8 minutes to get there by car. In the cool mountain air of Rosemont Gardens, guests can take in a scenic view of Taal Lake and the Taal Volcano as they stroll along the venue’s multi-tiered garden. Aside from the breathtaking views, the venue partners with catering services, so couples already have a trusted catering option from the venue’s in-house coordinators.
For inquiries, contact the venue with the following information:
Directions from Chapel on the Hill: https://goo.gl/maps/hmHbwRTjSuwnWYnq5
Address: Gen Aguinaldo Highway (Tagaytay-Nasugbu Highway), Laurel, Philippines
Contact Number/s: 0947 896 9960
Leanel’s Garden is a popular event venue in the middle of Tagaytay. It is approximately a 28-minute, 15.8-kilometer drive from Don Bosco Chapel on the Hill in Tagaytay to the reception venue. According to their Facebook page, the events place offers a venue and catering package worth less than P30,000 to the first 50 people who book an event for July 2023 or later. Nature-loving couples will love the venue’s garden reception areas, which are both beautiful and spacious.
Considering a garden-themed reception? Learn more about this events place using the following details:
Directions from Chapel on the Hill: https://goo.gl/maps/fNy3RsDqAcBefJNH9
Address: Daang Luma Road, Kaybagal North, Tagaytay City, Philippines
Contact Number/s: 0917 824 0936 | 0936 905 5898
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Arabelle @ The Secret Garden (@arabelle.secretgarden)
Arabelle at The Secret Garden
Are you looking for a pet-friendly reception venue? Head over to Arabelle at The Secret Garden in Alfonso, Cavite where newlyweds and guests spend the special day with their furbabies ! This lovely garden venue is a 9-minute, 4.9-kilometer drive from Chapel on the Hill. Their event package includes setting up and decorating for the event, using the venue privately and exclusively for four hours, and complete catering services.
Contact Arabelle at The Secret Garden via the following details:
Directions from Chapel on the Hill: https://goo.gl/maps/zteevoLRJMRVi3zK6
Address: Arabelle @ The Secret Garden, Barangay Amuyong, Alfonso, Cavite, Alfonso, Philippines
Contact Number/s: 0945 802 8063
Begin Your Journey to Forever at Chapel on the Hill
Saying vows in a beautiful and spiritual spot adds a romantic touch to anyone’s wedding. If you’re up for this adventure with your significant other, now’s the time. Plan the wedding of your dreams and begin your journey to forever at Chapel on the Hill today!
For more information on Chapel on the Hill in Tagaytay, contact:
Mary Help of Christians House of Spirituality
Address: Don Bosco Batulao, Barangay Cahil, Calaca, Batangas 4120 Tagaytay City Philippines
Email: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Numbers: (02) 8404-4327 | 0917 524 7192
Author: Aldaia Auman
Aldaia brings ideas to life through writing. Her love for writing began when she finished the pentalogy novel Percy Jackson and the Olympians. When she isn't writing, most of her time is spent watching movies and TV series, playing video games on consoles like Valorant, Horizon, The Sims, and GTA V, hanging out with friends, and sleeping.