Now Reading
Just Married: Requirements for Change of Marital Status in the PH

Just Married: Requirements for Change of Marital Status in the PH

person drawing on paper

Congratulations on getting married! We’re very happy for you.

But now that the wedding celebration and honeymoon are over, it’s time to crack your knuckles and get started on your post-wedding checklist, which may include changing your maiden name to your married name. To change your marital status and/or surname in the Philippines, you’ll have to visit many government offices and deal with lots of documents.

Here’s a complete guide to help you sort through all the requirements for updating your civil status in the Philippines.

blue-pen checked Yes box on Married status form

How to change your marital status and surname after marriage in the Philippines

Decide if you actually want to change your last name

Before anything else, we’d just like to remind you that changing your last name after marriage is not mandatory in the Philippines. So, make sure you actually want to change your last name and know the pros and cons of doing so before you update your change of civil status. This is something you should discuss with your husband. It may be a sensitive topic, but if you truly want to keep your maiden name, he should respect your decision.

Keep in mind that once you change your maiden name to your married name, you can’t go back to your maiden name again unless your husband passes away or you file for an annulment. Additionally, even if you don’t change your last name after marriage, you will still have to update your civil status in various government records, valid IDs, and official documents.

Request for a marriage certificate

After deciding, you’ll need your marriage certificate to change your marital status in the Philippines. The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) must verify its authenticity. Every time you apply for a change of civil status, you must show your marriage certificate.

You can request a marriage certificate online or through walk-in applications at PSA Serbilis Service Centers. The certificate costs 365 PHP for online applications, including processing and delivery charges. It’s typically given out after 1-6 working days. For walk-in applications, the cost is only 155 PHP per copy, and the turnaround time is 3–13 working days.

You can also apply for a marriage certificate at SM Business Centers if the online fees are too high and there aren’t any nearby Serbilis Service Centers. Simply pay an additional service fee of 25 PHP for each copy, and wait for 3 to 9 business days to get it.

We suggest getting at least 3 original copies of your marriage certificate, as certain government offices will not accept photocopies only.

Head over to the different government offices

Plan your days of going to government offices strategically! If you stick to a strict schedule and start the days early, you can actually manage to finish in at least 2-3 days. Refer to the next section to view the complete list of documents and their corresponding requirements for change of status. We also explain the entire process, so you know what to expect.

stack of government documents with red and black clips

Documents to change after getting married

PhilHealth ID

One of the government offices you should prioritize for a change of marital status in the Philippines is PhilHealth. Filipinos can enjoy health benefits from this institution, so make sure you properly update your PhilHealth information. 

Here are the requirements needed to update your marital status on PhilHealth:

Requirements for change of status:

  • PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF)
  • Marriage Certificate (bring both the original and a photocopy for verification purposes)
  • Old PhilHealth ID Card (for brides who want to change their surname after marrying in the Philippines)
  • Valid ID for backup purposes


  1. Visit the closest PhilHealth office or satellite office.
  2. Head to the customer service personnel and state that you wish to change your civil status. You will be given a blank PMRF.
  3. Fill out the PMRF. Once finished, submit it to the counter. Your marital status will be processed as you wait. If you opt to have a change of surname after marriage, you will be issued a new PhilHealth ID.

Updating your civil status and changing your name is free of charge. Transaction time is typically less than five minutes, excluding queuing time. The PMRF is also available online, so you can choose to download it and fill it out in your free time.

Hand holding a Social Security ID card vector illustration

Social Security System (SSS)

If you are employed, ask your HR team regarding their process on how to change your Philippine marital status and name in SSS. They’ll also advise you on the SSS requirements for a change of status. While the process may vary per employer, it’s best to inquire from your company’s HR. 

Below is a list of the requirements and standard method for your reference:

Requirements for change of status:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Member’s Data Change Request (SS Form E-4)
  • UMID card or 2 valid IDs
  • Authorization letter for your employer to handle the SSS process for your change of civil status


  • Inform your employer that you wish to update your SSS status from single to married. You’ll receive a Member’s Data Change Request (SS Form E-4) from them. Fill it out and submit it to your HR along with your authorization letter.
  • Submit copies of your UMID, marriage certificate, and government-issued identification.
  • Follow up occasionally with your HR department.

If you’re currently unemployed, head over to the nearest SSS branch and submit the change of status requirements above. The customer service personnel at SSS will guide you in changing your name and other details. Typically, the processing will only take a day, but make sure to ask the personnel.

Updated: You can now request for a name correction online

The SSS member portal now offers a quick and easy way to change your Philippine marital status or correct your name. Follow the steps below:

    1. Head over to the official SSS website. Click “MEMBER” from the list of portals.
    2. Log in to your account. Select “E-SERVICES” from the main menu and then click on “Request for Member Data Change (Simple Correction).”
    3. Click on the type of member data you want to be changed. Then fill out the appropriate fields and upload the requirements we listed above.
    4. Keep a copy of your transaction number.
    5. Wait for an email from SSS to inform you about your request.

Close-up of woman's hands filling a tax form

Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)

Updating your marital status in your taxpayer information is also a must. To know how to update your marital status on BIR, you can go to their official website and find out the necessary requirements and steps to update your marital status. Use the list below to guide you through the change of status process.

To change your marital status, you must go to their official website and fill out a BIR form first. The form you need to fill in depends on your employment status. Here are the following requirements and processes applicable to Filipino local employees (employed and self-employed) and individuals who are securing a TIN under Executive Order 98:

Requirements for change of status:

  • BIR Form 1905
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Any government-issued ID


  1. Download BIR Form 1905 or get a physical copy from any BIR branch. 
  2. For Part I, Fill in the necessary taxpayer information by writing in capital letters, using “X” to mark appropriate boxes, and writing N/A if the information is not applicable.
  3. For Part II, mark the change of civil status as your registration update reason and proceed to section 9.
  4. Mark the “Single to Married” box and write your maiden and married names in the section. Don’t forget to include your spouse’s information (employment status, complete name, TIN [if any], employer’s name, and employer’s TIN).
  5. Submit this form and the documentary requirements to the Revenue District Office (RDO) where you’re registered. You can also submit through email by emailing the RDO’s designated email address.

Now, if you’ve already changed your Philippine marital status on other IDs and you still don’t have a TIN, you can still apply by following the steps below:

  1. Fill out the appropriate BIR Form:
    • form 1901 for self-employed
    • form 1902 for individuals earning purely compensatory income
    • form 1904 for unemployed
  1. After putting in the necessary information, visit the RDO where you live and submit the two original copies of the form along with the following:
    • a photocopy of any government-issued IDs that include your married name
    • marriage certificate (applicable for form 1902)

woman's hand filling out house loan form with blue paper houses in foreground


Changing your marital status in the Philippines for your PAG-IBIG identification is also necessary. Filipinos can get multi-purpose loans and home loans from this government office. That’s why it’s important to keep your information updated so you can take advantage of the benefits. 

Here are the requirements to update your marital status in Pag-IBIG:

Requirements for change of status:

  • Pag-IBIG MID number
  • Photocopy of marriage certificate (bring the original copy for verification purposes)
  • Valid ID (for backup purposes)
  • Member’s Change of Information Form (MCIF)


  • Visit the Pag-IBIG office closest to you.
  • Inform the assigned staff that you wish to update your civil status. Your queue number and a Member’s Change of Information Form (MCIF) will be provided.
  • Complete the MCIF while waiting for your number to be called.
  • Submit your MCIF and other requirements when your number’s called.
  • You’ll receive a copy of your MCIF after they’ve successfully updated your information.
  • If you changed your last name after marriage in the Philippines, you’d be instructed to head to another section where you can update and print your new Member’s Data Form with your married name and your husband’s name.

When you want to have a change of surname after marriage in the Philippines, you should never forget about your PAG-IBIG ID. It’s valid for life, so you’ll never have to renew every few years or so.

close up image of passport and visa with pencil and application form


Another important identification you must update to change your marital status and/or your surname after marriage is the Philippine passport. A passport is considered a primary government ID, so you need to update it at least 3 to 6 months before your current passport expires.

Requirements for change of status

  • Physical appearance at your preferred DFA office
  • Confirmed appointment schedule
  • Completed application form
  • Original Marriage Certificate authenticated by the PSA
  • Old passport along with a photocopy of the biodata page
  • Two legitimate IDs, each with a photocopy, and if possible, with the married name included
  • Proof of payment


  1. Secure an appointment online via the DFA website.
  2. Download a copy of the application form and fill it out in your free time.
  3. Pay your processing fee at the different authorized payment centers. For expedited processing, it costs 1,200 PHP. For regular processing, it’s only 950 PHP. Authorized payment centers will charge a convenience fee of 50 PHP.
  4. Head over to the DFA office where you have a confirmed appointment. Present all the required documents.
  5. Once they’ve updated your information, you will be issued a passport receipt that you’ll have to present on the date of your passport’s release.

When applying for or renewing your passport, you may still use valid identification bearing your maiden name, but you must also provide a supporting document, such as an NBI clearance bearing your married name. If you’re in doubt, it’s best to obtain an NBI clearance first if you don’t have an ID with your married name on it.

NBI Clearance

You should also update your Philippine marital information and/or surname after marriage in your NBI clearance.

Changing your maiden name to your married name in your NBI clearance is quick and easy, but it will require you to apply again. This is because changing the last name on your NBI clearance isn’t considered a renewal application. Instead, it’s classified as a new application.

Before you begin the new application process, make sure you have a new email address. NBI will not accept the email address that you used to create your old NBI clearance.

Once you have a new email address to use, make sure to follow these six simple steps:

  1. Create a new account

Go to the NBI clearance website to open a new account. Make sure you put your husband’s name instead of your maiden name. If they ask whether you have an old NBI clearance, pick “NO.”

woman wearing red sweater is typing on laptop

  1. Fill in your personal information.

The form will ask questions about your name, gender, birth date, place of birth, address, contact numbers, and other personal details. Once you’re done filling them up, click “SAVE INFORMATION” at the bottom of the page.

See Also
Tag with Mrs written on it

  1. Schedule an appointment online.

The next step is to schedule an appointment. You can choose the day and hour in the calendar provided. Choose a date that’s most convenient for you.

Make sure you’re available on the date you pick. Branches have adopted a “No Appointment, No Entry” policy. Without an appointment, you will not be able to get your NBI clearance.

  1. Make the payment.

After you schedule an appointment, you will need to pay for your NBI clearance. Payment methods include via bank cash deposit, online banking facilities, Bayad Center, mobile wallets, ECPay, MultiPay, and 7-Eleven. 

Choose the method that’s most convenient for you. The NBI clearance costs 130 PHP, and if you choose to pay online, you’ll need to pay an additional 25 PHP for using any e-payment services.

  1. Head over to your selected NBI branch during your schedule.

During your visit, DFA personnel will take your biometrics and photos. You may be required to present your marriage certificate and valid government IDs as proof to verify your information. To avoid any problems, it’s best to bring both the original and copies of the necessary documents. Also, make sure to look at the list of accepted government IDs on the NBI clearance website before bringing any.

And that’s it! If you don’t have a “Hit,” you may be able to claim your new NBI clearance on the same day.

woman holding a red pen and filling up bank record form

Bank Records

Updating your marital status in your bank records is also essential. This will update your bank information and will prevent any discrepancies in the future. 

Here are the requirements and steps on how to update your marital status and/or surname after marriage on your bank records:

Requirements for change of status:

  • Original copy of the marriage certificate. Don’t worry; this will be returned to you. Banks just require you to bring the original copy as they normally photocopy it within bank premises.
  • Valid ID with your married name (if you didn’t change your name, you’d still need to bring a valid ID that reflects your change of civil status in the Philippines).


  1. Advise the bank teller that you want to update your marital status and change your last name. Most banks don’t charge any fees for this.
  2. After they update your information, don’t forget to get a new ATM card.

driver license ID card with female photo vector illustration

Driver’s License

A driver’s license from the Land Transportation Office is a primary valid ID. That’s why it’s important to keep your Philippine marital status updated from this government office. 

Here are the requirements and processes to update your status on your driver’s license:

Requirements for change of status:

  • Marriage certificate (original and photocopy)
  • Your old driver’s license (current or expired)
  • Completed application form


  1. Head over to the nearest LTO branch. To avoid long lines, be at the office early.
  2. Submit all of the requirements. This can be accomplished within the day.

Is it mandatory to change the signature after marriage?

Now that you know how to update your marital status and surname after marriage in the Philippines, you might wonder if you’ll also have to change your signature, especially if it has your maiden name.

In a nutshell, it’s not required and not advised to change your signature. If you want to change your signature, you will need to contact the relevant bodies where you have signed documents before. The process is not only inconvenient but also unnecessary.

It’s okay to keep your current signature, even if it has your maiden name on it. Your signature doesn’t need to have your new surname. Your signature serves as your proof of identity and intent. If you change your signature, it would require you to contact every place, institution, or organization where you have authenticated yourself with your signature.

A bride wearing white dress and signing marriage documents

Get Started on it Today — The Sooner, the Better!

Once you’ve gone through all the requirements for a change of marital status in the Philippines and you’ve done all of the tasks on how to change your surname after marriage, it’ll feel like you’ve just succeeded in a marathon. It will be tiring and stressful, and you’ll get impatient, but we promise—all of the time and effort will be worth it when you finally see your married name and updated civil status.

Good luck! For any more questions, just comment down below.

Aldaia Auman
Author: Aldaia Auman

Aldaia brings ideas to life through writing. Her love for writing began when she finished the pentalogy novel Percy Jackson and the Olympians. When she isn't writing, most of her time is spent watching movies and TV series, playing video games on consoles like Valorant, Horizon, The Sims, and GTA V, hanging out with friends, and sleeping.

View Comments (32)
  • Hello! For NBI change of status, once I edit the profile am I going to choose new application? Or I can still choose renewal because I have old NBI already but it contains the old profile (single and maiden name).

    • Hi, Cherry! When changing your status with the NBI, you’re going to want to pick “new application,” even if you already have an old NBI from before you were married. You’re also going to need a different email address from the one you used to make your old NBI clearance.

      When you arrive at your scheduled NBI appointment, you may be asked to show your marriage certificate–so be sure to have both the original and a copy just in case!

    • Hi, Jes! While the processing time typically takes about one working day, it may vary from case to case or from SSS office to office. If you are employed, you can ask your office’s HR for help. If you are self-employed or unemployed, you can call up your nearest SSS branch and ask the personnel.

  • Hello! You said “it’s not mandatory to change your signature and it’s also not recommended”.
    Can you explain it further? im planning to keeping my signature after marriage. will there be an advantage and disadvantages?

    • Hi, Meliza! The reason we say that it’s not recommended is that when you change your signature, you’ll have to officially change the signature that’s attached to/appear on your official IDs, passports, bank accounts, etc. – all of which may have their own sets of requirements. It’s a real time saver to not change your signature.

  • Hi! may I ask about using the hyphenated last names of my husband and my maiden name, does this mean that my middle name would be dropped?

    • Hello Eu! There are pros and cons to choosing a hyphenated last name after getting married. Other than the fact that you will have a longer last name since you are keeping your maiden last name, you will eventually have to drop your maiden middle name. I hope this helps.

  • Hello, you said that a woman can retain her maiden name after marriage since it is not mandatory to change after marriage but she should still file for change in civil status from single to married? Pls. Confirm. Also, the marriage was done in US, can my friend used the photocopy og marriage certificate as requirement? My friend wants to retain her maiden name and change her civil status from single to married. Pls. Confirm. Thanks a lot.

  • Hi good morning. I hqve just recently annulled my marriage. I have a new partner now and planning to get married soon. Now on my ids im using my ex husband last name can i change it directly to my new partners last name or should i change it first to my maidens name? Please advice.

    • Hi, Lorena. Thank you for your question! If you want to use your new partner’s last name, you can change your IDs and records directly to reflect the new last name after getting married.

  • May I ask if SSS, Philhealth and Pag-ibig automatically issue new id after requesting to update my information (name and status) or there is different process?

  • Good Day! I just register in today. I am married and I will use the paper for my application as public school teacher. While I’m generating the docs my maiden name was the one appearing even though I filled the details correctly

    EXAMPLE: ABCD DELA ROCA MENDOZA – my full maiden name

    why do ABCD DELA ROCA MEDOZA still appearing in the portal….maybe I filled in the details incorrectly

    • Hi! We are definitely working on collecting all the updated information we need for the article and are planning to add how to update your BIR information soon!

  • Hi! Very informative and helpful! Thanks to this!
    How about the process of changing status in PRC IDs? 😊
    Thank you in advance! God bless 😊

    • Hello, Janine!
      That’s a good question. You will have to submit a duly accomplished Petition Form, Marriage Certificate, Passport-sized ID picture, and copy of your PRC ID, to the Regulatory Division. For more detailed information, you may visit 🙂 We hope this helps!

  • Hi. Pag sa husband ko po ba kailangan ba na pati sya k change ang marital status? i tried kasi sa SSS online wala option for change marital status.

    • Hello Nikki!

      There’s an option online for changing marital status on SSS. You may kindly refer to the following steps below:
      1 Go to SSS website
      2. Log in to your account.
      3. Click on Membership Records under E-SERVICES
      4. Upload supporting documents (e.g. Marriage Contract)
      5. Save or copy your transaction number.
      6. Wait for the SSS email regarding your request.

      We hope this helps with your inquiry 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© 2024 Nuptials. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top